Saturday 18 October 2008

Roasted and toasted squash and corn soup


This is the third soup I've made for this month's 'hearty' edition of Lisa and Holler's No Croutons Required event, but the only one I've actually managed to photograph. The first was a roasted beetroot, tomato and pepper soup, and the second was a broccoli, bean and pasta broth, both of which were very nice, but which got supped away while my camera slumbered. So here, at last, is my contribution, and probably the heartiest of all.


It was inspired by the perfectly hearty and autumnal squash, and by the gorgeous corn we've been getting in our veg box. The cooking method was, I have to admit, prompted entirely by the happy thought that I could call it a 'roasty and toasty soup' but I think that both roasting the squash and toasting the corn added a lot of extra flavour. The extra veggies - leek and pepper - were what I had to hand (in fact the pepper was a surprise bonus which had got hidden in the veggie basket!). Squash is the quintessential autumn flavour for me, and this is a lovely soup for a chilly evening - thick, hearty and comforting.

Roasty toasty soup
Makes about 4 servings

1 butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded and diced
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped finely or crushed
half to one onion, diced
Half a red pepper, chopped
a leek, chopped
About 650-700ml veg stock
The kernels from one ear of corn

Spread the squash out over a baking tray and scatter the garlic over the top. Spray/drizzle with oil and bake at 200C for about 25 mins until soft.

Put onion in a pan and cover with stock. Simmer for about ten minutes, then add pepper, leeks, and more stock to cover, and simmer for a further 10 mins or so, until soft.

Toast sweetcorn kernels under the grill until crispy

Add squash to the pan and simmer briefly to warm up. Blend soup and season to taste. Add half the corn and blend, then scatter the rest over the top.

3 comments:

Johanna GGG said...

yep looks thick and hearty - your other soups sound good too!

Lisa Turner said...

A lovely entry for our event. Thank you. As I sit shivering in my apartment with no heat, I am craving a bowl of this. The other soups you made sound wonderful too.

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I am so glad you got the camera out this time :)

That soup looks thick and luscious!