Tuesday 25 May 2010

Getting creative: embroidered baby bibs


I've decided to diversify from baby quilts for a while, so I get to try some new projects. These bibs were inspired by my book of iron-on embroidery templates, and were made for our Vet Friends' new baby - aka New Grub. I used some fairly sturdy sort of linen stuff for the fronts, and backed them with fun cottons from my stash of fabrics. The foody one used the book templates completely; the dog one has freehand writing and a doggy template; and the poker one is a complete original (thanks to Dr Eco for drawing me a pattern, and to The Scientist for coming up with a suitable poker slogan).



I really enjoyed making these - hand sewing is my favourite thing, and I tried out a few different types of stitches on them. The templates wash off really easily, and for the freehand ones I used a magical water-soluble fabric pen which fades on its own really quickly (and disappears easily with a damp cloth, too). I added a press stud on the back to close them, and used little running stitches around the front to hold them in shape, and for a bit of extra decoration.


I thoroughly recommend this book even if you're a beginner to embroidery. Must find more stuff to embroider now - if it doesn't move, it's getting decorated (watch out cats!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love these! You fancy having these on the smb blog too? x

Johanna GGG said...

these look great - I love the mucky pup ones - though I tend to hate getting nice bibs dirty with sylvia - but it depends on what she is eating as to how stained they get!

Julie said...

Yes, I agree with Johanna - they are gorgeous, but so much so I'd never want to use them!

Lysy said...

I'm not sure if New Grub is actually going to wear them much either - but I'm never offended if my baby gifts end up mucky. It's a compliment eithe way, I suppose!

Caroline said...

These are amazing! I'm super-impressed with your handiwork, hon! xx