Sunday 2 May 2010

Jaffa drizzle cake

I've wanted to make this cake for ages - it was from a supplement to the Good Food magazine ages ago, but it's taken until now to find an opportunity. In the meantime Jacqueline at Tinned Tomatoes had blogged about how good it was, so its credentials had been raised even further. As usual, the opportunity was The Scientist going gaming, and it didn't take long to convince him it was a good bet (approximately as long as it took to say the word 'jaffa' and 'cake' in fact).



Frankly, this cake has everything going for it. It's about the easiest cake you could imagine - bung everything in a bowl, beat and bake. It's orangey. It has orange syrup on the top. AND it has dark chocolate on the top of the orange syrup. The recipe said it would keep for up to a week but I can't imagine any circumstances where it would need to. I asked The Scientist when he got back if it counted as a 'Gamers' Favourite' and he said a definite yes. Mind you, I haven't found a cake which hasn't been a Gamers' Favourite since I started that label. I love baking for these people!


I'm also featuring the other goodies I made for them: chocolate digestives. I loved the taste of the dough for these biscuits - they tasted exactly like the real thing. I baked them for slightly too long by mistake as I didn't hear the oven timer going off from upstairs, but covered in chocolate they were perfectly passable. And yes, they were Gamers' Favourites too :) BUT - I can't remember where I got the recipe from!! I'm rather upset about this as they were so nice, but if I turn it up again I will definitely blog it.


Jaffa drizzle lof (from BBC Good Food Magazine supplement): recipe here

2 comments:

Johanna GGG said...

oh no - I love the look of those - I had a weakness for these when living in UK and I would love the recipe - hope you find it though if not I am happy to just marvel at how gorgeous yours look

the cook looks great too though less of my thing as I am a little suspicious of syrup cakes but I do love chocoalate and orange - I was thinking maybe you need a gamer's favourite tag on the blog!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Mmmmmmmm, I am drooling looking at it and remembering how lovely it was. Such a lovely light sponge and yummy flavours :)